Food Allergies Aside… Eat Like A Regular Kid!
By Marlo Mittler, RD
For those families with food allergies, it often takes a lot more time and planning to get dinner on the table after a busy day. While other families can grab something at a local take out place or just pull anything off thesupermarket shelf, this is not a viable option. For this reason it is important to always keep some “kid-friendly” dinner options within reach.
Luckily the world has been becoming more and more food allergy-friendly and there are new options out there.
Take a look at these foods which are not only healthy and tasty, but free of many food allergens as well. Of course customize these foods to meet your child’s needs based on their allergies. And always read the labels prior to purchasing to be sure nothing has changed since your last purchase.
- Veggie Fries – These delicious french fries are made from a blend of farm-grown vegetables, legumes, and potatoes, chopped and blended together with herbs, spices and just a pinch of salt. Choose from carrot, broccoli, chick pea and red pepper or kale and tuscan bean. Most importantly they are vegan, Non-GMO certified and free of the top 8 allergens including gluten, soy, dairy and wheat. Kids will love this side dish that has the crunch of a french fry packed with the nutrition of 2 servings of vegetables. Pair with chicken or a burger for a great kid friendly, parent approved dinner.
- Amy’s Gluten Free Burrito – This delicious burrito can serve as the perfect lunch or dinner entree in just minutes. This burrito, containing pinto beans, rice, vegetables and Mexican sauce, is wrapped in a gluten-free tortilla. Not only is it gluten-free, but it is dairy-free, lactose-free, soy-free, tree-nut-free and vegan. Most importantly it is perfect for any palate!
- Ian’s Chicken Nuggets – Choose from the Southwest Breaded Tenders or the Smokin’ Sweet BBQ Breaded Nuggets! Whichever you prefer, you can not go wrong. These nuggets and tenders are dairy-free, non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. In every bite you will find a moist and tasty piece of chicken, that you won’t even believe they were ever frozen. This is one meal that the adults and kids might just fight over!
- Namaste Foods Soup Cups – Perfect to keep in the cupboard for a cold night when soup is just what you wanted! Add boiling water to these portioned cups, that are made in a dedicated facility free of gluten and the top 8 allergens. Broccoli “Cheddar” or “Chicken” Noodle, both of which are perfect for vegans, are just two of the delicious flavors to choose from.
- Cappello’s Pasta – This pasta truly steps up the dinner table with its exciting varieties! Do you prefer ziti, Lasagna sheets or perhaps Gnocchi? Why choose when you can give them all a try! Cappello’s Pasta is dairy-free/non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut free-soy free, vegetarian an paleo.
Whether it is a new food that you decide to try, or an old family staple, it is smart to savethe label after opening it up. Place the labels in a notebook so that you can easily refer to this as a guidebook for last minute meal go-to’s. For many purchasing foods that are allergen free is a series of trial and error. So this will help to separate the ones that were a hit with the kids to those that you might not try again. Additionally this will allow you to share more easily with others who have food allergies or perhaps for your own kids when going to a friends house for dinner. After all, it is about having your child eat like a regular kid!